Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Voxtrot Plays Art Museum Opening


I have a soft part of my heart for Voxtrot, I admit. I bought both of their EP's, right after they were released - I was tickled that they were shipped from a familiar street north of campus here in town. It's a very homegrown operation, you can tell. Listening to Voxtrot, I feel like I'm watching the beginnings of a group like the Beatles. Of course, they may never reach such heights of fame, glory, and achievement. But, Ramesh's enthusiasm for his songs, and his unadulterated joy for the performance, just drips off the music. I was able to stand amongst the teenagers last Saturday night at Austin's new Blanton Museum of Art, where Voxtrot was playing to a *very* mixed crowd of mostly art patrons, who were wondering why there was a pop band playing in their midst. No decent lighting, lousy echoey acoustics, but Voxtrot rocked. Somebody sign these guys, quick, before the fire dies out.

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I was with a bunch of arty farty friends last night who were at the Blanton opening, and yeah -- they totally didn't get Voxtrot. One friend reminded me that Pong played too and told me she really didn't notice Voxtrot. So yeah, the art world just wasn't ready for Austin's best and most adorable pop band.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sam Ritter said...

It was really odd, listening to a hot band play to a crowd who were really there for very different reasons. Several of the "kids" in the audience got Voxtrot completely, and were jukin and jivin, but there was this odd pall over everything, like this was a respectable joint, and who do these ruffians think they are, anyway?

Yes, I agree - these guys are absolutely adorable. I hope they do well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home